Kelowna RCMP arrest man after fleeing from police and colliding with multiple police vehicles
2021-07-09 15:47 PDT
File # 2021-35747/42653
Kelowna RCMP located and arrested a male who fled from police and collided with police vehicles after a roadside stop.
On June 11, 2021, Kelowna RCMP received a report of a suspicious vehicle in the 1600-block of Leaside Avenue in Kelowna. When frontline officers arrived, they located a white sedan attempting to jump-start another vehicle on the street. Officers made contact with the male driver who provided a driver’s license, which the investigator quickly determined to be fraudulent. The man then started the vehicle and backed into the police vehicle and fled, colliding with a vehicle parked nearby as well as other police vehicles that arrived in the area to assist. Luckily, no officers were injured in the incident. Investigators quickly identified the man as an individual known to police, and recommended criminal charges to the BC Public Prosecution Service who issued a warrant for his arrest.
The Kelowna RCMP Target Team took on the task of locating the man. On July 7th, 2021 just before 2:00 p.m., investigators of the Kelowna RCMP Target Team located the man in the 1900-block of Spall Avenue and arrested him without incident.
Following his arrest, a search of the man located quantities of suspected fentanyl, suspected fraudulent identification and multiple weapons including a prohibited weapon, states Sgt. Desmond Kiehlbauch of the Kelowna RCMP Street Enforcement Unit.
The man was also allegedly in breach of various orders previously imposed on him by the courts.
As a result of the investigation, the BC Prosecution Service has charged 20-year-old Orin David Lucas with the following offences:
- One count of flight from police contrary to Section 320.17 of the Criminal Code
- One count of dangerous operation of a conveyance contrary to Section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code
- Two counts of assaulting peace officer with a weapon contrary to Section 270.01 (1) of the Criminal Code
- One count of wilfully resisting or obstructing a police officer contrary to Section 129 of the Criminal Code
- One count of unauthorized possession of a non-firearm contrary to Section 91(2) of the Criminal Code
- One count of possession of forged document with intent to commit offence contrary to Section 368(1)(d) of the Criminal Code
- One count of possession of break-in instruments contrary to Section 351(1) of the Criminal Code
- One count of Possession for purpose of trafficking contrary to Section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
Mr. Lucas remains in custody at this time. No further information will be released as the matter is now before the court.
Cst. Solana ParéMedia Relations Officer
Kelowna Regional Detachment
1190 Richter St, Kelowna, BC V1Y 2K7
- Date modified: